Pages

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

We're Home...Finally

And she has a name:
Delaney Katherine

So. A quick update as I head upstairs for a nap...

We've been in the hospital until this afternoon while they monitored Delaney's blood sugar, rapid breathing, and administered antibiotics through an IV. Her white blood cell count was high on Sunday, so rather than coming home, she was admitted into the NICU for the IV to be put in and the first round (6 hr.) of antibiotics to be administered. She then was sent to Pediatrics where we've been since Sunday while they ran a blood culture to see if there was an infection. Thankfully she is fine and we are home.

Nursing is progressing... slowly. Her rapid breathing makes it very difficult for her to nurse. We are getting enough in through supplementation to keep her blood sugars high enough, though.

I would love to post more... and I have gads and gads of photos to share. BUT I am just too tired.
Thanks for all the wonderful emails and comments and dinners! I have so many family and friends to be thankful for. You are all so great.

One last thing. For you women out there - you'll appreciate this little piece of info.

3 pushes.

No rips or tears!

Can I EVEN tell you how fortunate I am?????

30 VERY much appreciated comments:

Amanda said...

She is so cute - and what a darling name! You really know how to get 'em here! I look forward to more pictures when you get around to it - yea for naps!

Tim and Lisa said...

WOW! I was wondering about the pushes. Good for you! What a woman! I am glad you are all home, I hope you get some rest. Beautiful name, I can't wait to meet her. We will be down the first weekend in July for Caleb's Baptism. I can't believe he is going to be 8!

Julee and Matt said...

What a sweet name! I can't wait to see more pictures and I really can't wait to get to meet her in person. You are amazing and I am so glad pushing went to fast! Get some rest and I LOVE YOU!! Give the new little one a hug and kiss from me, as well as the others!

Emy said...

I'm glad you guys are home! Heard about the smoky breast pump you had...hope you get a better one soon! Can't wait to see more Delaney pics. Kirsten and I think you have an amazing pelvis!

LeaAnne said...

Rach, We all had to measure our heads after the post! :)Thanks for giving us all a little more knowledge! :) I am crazy proud of you! you are my birthing HERO!!!!!!! Beautiful name!

Dani said...

LOVE the name! Beautiful name for a beautiful girl : ) I can't believe it only took 3 pushes and no rips or tears, wow- that is amazing!! I'm glad it went so well! I hope you get some rest and that little Delaney is able to breathe good so she can eat as much as she wants :) What a darling girl!

Tonya said...

I love her name! I can't believe you got her out so quickly! You are truly the woman:0)She is so lucky to belong to such a great family. Welcome to this crazy and wonderful world Delaney!

Margaret said...

Glad to hear you are all home! Being in the hospital for more than a few days is not fun.

Hope to see Delaney again soon! :-) And hope you get some sleep!

Paula said...

I'm so glad you are home now and little Delaney is doing good. I hate you for only having to push three times though! LOL! Love you so much and I can't wait to meet her!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Rachel!

Wow......that is one seriously gorgeous baby! And I am not sure if I have ever seen that many fat rolls in one small place. Gorgeous, beautiful...wonderful baby!! Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

ha!ha! at 3 pushes. thats the same as with lyn except she was half the size of delaney!!! im so happy for you she really is beautiful!!

carizolli said...

Congrats again Rachel. I'm glad to hear everything is going well. I'm glad Delaney is okay (what a beautiful name, btw).

I can't wait to see pictures and hear more about your little angel - but definitely get yourself some rest every chance you get!

*hugs*

Renee said...

I LOVE her name. It fits her. I can't wait to see more pictures of her. OH my goodness, three pushes you are my hero. You get the award for Mother of the Year. (for more reasons than one) Get as much rest as you can, hugs to you I LOVE YOU!!!! Tell the proud papa congrats for us. Give the girls & Christian hugs and kisses and especially Delaney. I am glad you and Delaney are home safe and happy.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!!!! Delaney is beautiful! I am so glad she is ok, and all is well. Get lots of rest (if you can!) and I can't wait to see more pictures soon. Congratulations again!!! Love, Jamie & Family

Kirsten said...

Wow, you have the most amazing pelvis!!! I am glad you are home, yeah!!! Take all the naps you need and let me know if you need anything. Little man is always welcome to come hang out. What a beautiful name. Love you!!!

Anonymous said...

Love the name! Congrats! She is an angel!

Laurie said...

So glad you posted the name! Love it.

Now get some sleep!

Anonymous said...

For all that wondering about a name, you picked a perfect one! I LOVE it! You are seriously the woman that other women will speak reverently about for the rest of our lives, "I had a friend who pushed out a 12 pound baby!..." You deserve all the naps, chocolate, and Coke you want. :)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations. She is so beautiful. Your amazing.

Radke said...

What a lovely name for such a pretty baby! I am glad you are home and can't wait to see you all. Way to go on the delivery too! You are awesome!

Anonymous said...

I am so so hapy to hear that you are home and well! I was about to call Sally!! And may I add... I LOVE the name!! And do you want to know what is really really weird-well maybe not knowing you like I do- I woke up this morning and had a dream that you named her Katherine.
XOXO! Jules

Jodi said...

Delaney...beautiful choice! Congratulations on your precious little gift...enjoy every minute :)

Irish Family said...

And I was thinking she be smaller all things considered, but she sure showed me ;) Congrats girl! And i agree with the nurses comment, hehe. Oh and for fun I have to give a hard time about having NKOTB on your song list, feeling a bit antiqated.

Kristine said...

3 pushes w/o a tear for a 12+ lb baby is . . . amazing! She is adorable and has an adorable name to prove it! Congratulations!!! :)

SusieQ said...

It was so fun to see you and little (big) Delaney tonight. What a sweetie she is.

Unknown said...

Congratulations!!!! And--- you GO girl.

The deVilleneuves said...

Great name. Great momma. Great delivery. Get a nap...you EARNED it!

Robert and Tannya said...

Rachel, Congrats!!!! I was so excited to hear your baby news. Wait should I say toddler news? What is a baby that size? I don't know if infant is appropriate. Crew was 14 pounds at 6months. You are "ALL WOMAN". I loved the video with the nurses comment. Enjoy your freshy!!!

Kathy said...

Congratulations! She's beautiful and your family must be so very happy. Best wishes to you all!

Anonymous said...

Aww so cute!
Congradulations!
The Plumbs :)