It's ironic.
As I read the comments from my last post, several of you wished us luck that no one else gets sick from Christian. Almost funny to me. Almost.
Saturday morning I'm at Morgan's soccer game when she begins complaining of a bad headache and nausea. She said her head was banging when she ran. I've had headaches like that - they hurt! So I pulled her out of her game and we walked down to where Olivia was playing and waited for her game to end. The noise was too much for Morgan, so she wandered away where it was a bit quieter.
We came home and I took her temp. It was high. Great. Just like Christian. So I gave her meds and we layed her down on the couch to rest. The remainder of the day was pretty uneventful... until 12:20am when she came downstairs trembling! Her teeth were chattering so badly and her body was shaking uncontrollably. Her fever was now up to 103.8!
The scary thing to me, though, was when she complained of her neck hurting partnered with her high temp. My immediate thought (thanks to an educated mother - Thanks MOM!) was meningitis. I immediately called our After Hours Clinic where they then transferred me to a nurse up at Emanuel. After relaying each of Morgan's symptoms, the nurse said to me, "You'll need to get her seen immediately." AAAAAACK! I kept saying to myself, "Don't panic. Don't let Morgan see you freaking."
So... because I'm the mom, I decided I'd be the one to take her. I just couldn't imagine Martin taking her and then heading to bed. NOT going to happen. I needed to be with my girl. So after Morgan received a wonderful Priesthood blessing from Martin, I pumped a bottle for the baby and she and I jumped in the car.
We checked into the ER at 1am. For the next 5 hours, they hooked Morgan up to an IV to administer fluids and proceeded to prepare her for a Lumbar Puncture - also known as a SPINAL TAP! When the dear doctor told me they'd have to perform this procedure, I'm sure my eyes widened as big as quarters. The thought of a needle inserted into my precious Morgan's back and sucking out spinal fluid didn't sit well in my mind. But it was necessary. OK.
The next decision to be made was how to calm Morgan down. She was VERY nervous about the needle as well. They offered up three things: Valium, Ketamine, and something else I can't remember, but it would've knocked her out for a good half hour and would've required a respiratory therapist present in the room monitoring her. Hmm... NO. Morgan and I talked it over. I let her be a major part of the decision process. We finally, after changing her mind a time or two, decided upon the ketamine. It works not just as an anesthetic, but as dissociative anesthesia. Not something you'd want to get your hands on, though. It was frightening for me, as a mother, to see my daughter in that trance-like state. Her eyes were wide open but she wasn't "there".
I couldn't watch the lumbar puncture, so I stood by her head and talked into her ear the whole time, promising her a shopping trip to Build-a-Bear and Claire's and told her how proud I was of her and that it was almost over... Those few minutes couldn't have felt longer. It was really hard.
Her time coming out of this was interesting. I couldn't help but giggle a few times. They warned me she'd be hallucinating a bit... A few of my favorite quotes from her were, "Hiiiiiiiiii Moooooooooooomyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!", "I can hear you but I can't see you.", "I can see you but I can't see MEEEEE!!!!"
I was just glad when that part was OVER!
Then the waiting game began. They had to run a bunch of tests on the fluid. By 5:30am, 4 1/2 hours after checking in, and after dosing off and on in the most UNcomfortable positions, they gave us the all clear and Morgan was discharged. Thank goodness!
I left with a newfound appreciation for Morgan's volume, energy and spunk. I absolutely, positively hated seeing her in pain and then "knocked out", as she refers to it.
I count my blessings for her health.
Her fever is gone (it's Monday night as I write this), but her back is extremely sore from the LP.
And now... Olivia has come down with a fever, headache and dizziness.
Needless to say, my two oldest have been, and still continue to be, quarantined to their bedroom. I will NOT take any chances Delaney getting this. I was told by both the ER doctor and my pediatrician (who so wonderfully called me today after hearing about this!) that if an infant Delaney's age developed a fever that high, they would have to perform an LP on her as well.
SO.. the girls wear masks if/when they come downstairs - otherwise they're in their room.
It's been a weekend.
I'm glad it's over.
I'll be even more glad when fevers are gone, rashes gone, pain is gone and the sun is back.
Monday, June 2, 2008
Meningitis Scare
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)










26 VERY much appreciated comments:
So...as I am reading this...I am crying thinking of sweet Mo going through this and you sitting by her side. I am so glad it's not meningitis and I hope that they girls get to feeling better soon. Get lots of Lysol to spray on every inch of the house and get those germs out of there! I love you and I will pray that you house get's back to normal soon. *Hugs*
So scary!!! I'm glad that it's not worse. I hope that everyone gets better soon and that little Delaney stays healthy!!
That is so scary! I'm soooo glad that Morgan is o.k. now. What a weird virus! The hallucination talk was pretty funny,but hopefully that will never have to happen again! You are such a good Mommy to your sweet kids.
Jeez Rachel! So scary! I can't imagine! I'm glad your family is on the mend!
YIKES! I'm glad she is okay. I'm always scared of getting that again! Love you.
Last night as we were having a family party we were all talking about you guys and this horrible weekend. We are all so grateful that thing are as good as they are. Please call if I can help out.
Oh my goodness! You guys have had quite the crazy past several days. I am so relieved to hear everything is relatively ok! Menengitis is too scary to mess with. I even got vaccinated for it this past year. All my love to your little carrier monkeys. xoxo Jules
Oh my goodness! I'm so sorry!! We need to get those sickies out of your house! I'm glad you are taking all those precautions to keep the rest of you healthy! Love you so much!
Morgan is one tough cookie! I've never acutally known anyone who has ever had to have LP before...until now. Blessings to Delaney who will escape the fever and continue to grow strong and healthy.
Man how scary!! We had a bug running aroung these parts that I actually got and it sounds a lot like that. The headache was the worse I ever got. There was a girl in our ward who was out of school for a week, because the headache lasted that long. Glad to hear all is well, and hoping you got some sleep the next day.
WOW. I cried thinking of her. I can't imangine going through what you have been through lately. And again my testimony of Priesthood blessings grows. How wonderful to have a priesthood holder in our homes.
Oh, my goodness! I am so sorry all this has hit your dear young ones and so glad that the test came back negative. My thoughts and prayers are with you. I hope things smooth out at your house very quickly. {Hug}
I'm glad to hear everything is ok with Morgan! Hospitals are not fun.
Hope Olivia gets well quickly.
Way to soldier through another fiasco. You're amazing parents, and Morgan is so brave. Well done!
I am so sorry Rach. I was crying as I read your story. So scary. I am glad that Mo is feeling better and I hope Liv gets better quickly too. Just keep those germs away from Delaney as best you can. If you need anything please let me know. All our love and prayers.
What a scare you had. I can't wait for everybody to be better for you. I love the funniness of Morgan and I am glad to know that she still has her wits about her. We will keep your family in our prayers. Love you
I know you can share only so much in the foyer at church. I'm glad to have read more details on your blog, but much more nervous about what you'd been through after doing so. Yikes! What a scare. Thinking of you, and hoping that everyone is feeling better. We're just around the corner from you if you need anything...
Wow. You've been through a lot this week! Prayers go out to you and your family!
I know how you feel. It was scary with Tanner too when they thought it was a bacterial infection. I think we have the same pediatrician and she is awesome! Doesn't it feel good to have someone to trust with our precious ones? Heres to wishing you health in your home soon!
Glad to hear everyone is getting better--that's a crazy scare. And to quote Gabe, hospital's are "NOT FUN."
I do actually get a kick out of Gabe and Nate when they are drunk on Verced (sp?) before their EUAs. It's my favorite part of the whole ordeal.
WOW. Tell Morgan that she is my hero! She was so strong to do that. I would have never been able to do that without been OUT! I hope things are going better. It sounds like you have had quite a few scares. I cried reading this...I LOVE you all and wish you the best!
How scary. Glad she's ok now. Montana had to have a L.P. at 2 months and it was so aweful.
My Little Guy started with a high fever today...he's been so lethargic all day just laying around and wanting me to hold him.
What a scary ordeal for your family! I hope everyone is doing ok. I've been checking back here everyday to see if there are any updates- Julee's post made me nervous. Our thoughts and prayers have been with you!
Found you, just bouncing around from LDS blog, to LDS blog, it's amazing how interconnected we all are through church. Anyway, I understand the scariness of the LP. My Fiona had them regularly during the beginning of her treatment and I felt awful every time we had to do it to her. I don't know if being a Mom ever gets easier, huh?
OK so I guess I should have stopped at the first post. I think you need a serious vacation after weathering some serious illnesses at your home. I feel for Morgan I had to have a spinal tap just over a year ago and it hurts! Take care, seriously, take care!
Post a Comment