Pages

Friday, June 6, 2008

I Hate Viruses


Can I just tell you how much I hate viruses?


This strain of virus we had in our home was particularly ugly.

It hit Christian.

It hit Morgan.

It hit Olivia.

And then, not wanting anyone to feel left out, it decided to hit my baby.

Unfortunately, when a fever hits a baby Delaney's age, it's really not a good thing.

So Monday evening, after doing my best to keep the sick girls quarantined in their room and away from the baby, Delaney came down with a fever. It was too high for their (medical professionals) liking, so off to the ER we went. I was a nervous wreck at this point. I still hadn't caught up on my sleep from Morgan's ER visit... and here we go again??

I told my dear husband he had no choice but to come with me - there was no way I could handle this on my own. I knew in my gut what was going to happen - I'd been warned twice by two different doctors - babies that age with fevers receive Lumbar Punctures. And my oh my was I freaking out about it.

So yes. We get to the ER. And I start second guessing my thermometer. What if it read wrong? What if I read it wrong? What if she doesn't have a fever? What if this is all for naught and I look like a total and complete fool??

But sure enough. After taking her temp rectally, it was indeed high. So then began the almost "2 hour-let's try and find a vein in this baby so we can hook up an IV" procedure that failed. After too many pokes and tourniquets, they decided to put an IV in Delaney's scalp. (I'd seen this before 11 years ago when Olivia, as a newborn in the NICU, had a scalp IV. Not what a mom wants to see...)

The IV for Delaney was necessary for several reasons - to administer fluids and to administer antibiotics the next several days. We were already told we'd be spending the night with the possibility of longer.





We were educated in those first few hours. Did you know that a fever in a baby 60 days of age or younger results in a lumbar puncture???? Did you know that?? We didn't. When the ER doctor sat down and explained this and that about it and her condition, Martin questioned why people would even take their babies out of the house the first 2 months - why new parents would let anyone hold their baby in the first 2 months? The ER doctor agreed.

It was crazy. I had just watched as the doctor inserted a needle into my Morgan's back 48 hours previous to this. How on earth could it be possible we were back in the hospital doing the exact same thing with our infant?? This just didn't make sense.

But here we were. They transferred Delaney to Pediatrics where the pediatrician on call performed the dreaded procedure. I couldn't do it this time - be in the same room. I just couldn't. So Martin and I waited down the hall for the longest 20 minutes I've ever felt... well, at least in the last 48 hours.

All went well. ALL WENT WELL! The doctor came down the hall with several vials in his hand and proceeded to tell us how well it went and that the spinal fluid was clear. He even showed us the fluid. Apparently he had been VERY worried about Delaney. He didn't let on, thank goodness, beforehand. But he did let us know after the fact that he'd been worried.

The next two days Delaney and I hung out in Pediatrics - she still receiving antibiotics just in case it was a bacterial infection we were dealing with - while we waited for the blood cultures and whatever else they were running on her bloodwork and spinal fluid.

We came home Wednesday afternoon so happy to leave that hospital and get back to our own beds.

We have so much to be thankful for. I have four beautiful, healthy babies in my arms. I have absolutely nothing to complain about.

Our favorite nurse, Phyllis

30 VERY much appreciated comments:

carizolli said...

*gasp* oh my goodness Rachel! I can't believe what you've been thru this past week! :( I'm so sorry you guys have had to deal with this! I can't even imagine! Jenalyn had surgery to correct a herniated ovary when she was jut 3 weeks old...but they weren't messing with her spine! That's so scary!

*big squeezer hugs* Hang in there mama!

Anonymous said...

Good grief Rachel! Thank goodness everything is ok! You are in my thoughts and prayers. Miss you all so much!!

Love,
Courtney

Tim and Lisa said...

Your family have been in our prayers and will stay there. We are so happy that you are all home. We have been worried. Stay well and we will see in all in one month!

Kristin said...

You know her size probably helped her out a lot. I can't even begin to imagine your stress, but at least all is well now.

The Big B's said...

Rachel it looks like you have had a tough week, I am so sorry! Your kids are all grown up and so beautiful! It was so good to hear from you. I hope things get better on your end. Keep in touch! Lots of love Jen

Julee and Matt said...

I was giving you until tomorrow to get back to me and tell me what was going on. I am SO glad that little Delaney is home and that everyone is doing better. I LOVE YOU ALL...and I can't wait to be able to see you all and give snuggles to ALL the kids!

Teresa said...

I have been thinking about you and checking your blog like crazy hoping for an update. I am so glad that Delaney is well, and that you're both home now. Girl, you need to take it easy for awhile, okay? I'm sure you agree!

Margaret said...

I was so sad to hear this the other day but so happy to hear you are all on the mend!!!

Laura's Linoleum said...

Ugggh. What a relief everything is okay. I got sick to my stomach as I read your post, because I had to go through much of the same thing 2 months after Finelea was born when she contracted CMV. I'm just so glad you are all okay. Loves!! Oh, and I'm glad you liked Tekina's little exercise video. We all liked it too.

Jodi said...

My goodness, Rachel...what a rough time you and your family have had. I am soooo sorry you had to go through all of this but glad to hear everyone is ok and on the mend. Try to catch a little rest for yourself...these times can be tough on a mama!

Tonya said...

You are an amazingly strong and wonderful person and Mother. I am so sorry you had to do that all over again! I am so glad to hear that little Delaney is doing better. Suddenly my manic monday post from last week doesn't seem so manic.

Renee said...

OOOHHH What you all have been through this week. I am so glad that everyone is on the mend and that Delaney is ok. How are you momma? You guys have been in my thoughts and prayers. I have waited to hear some kind of news on how the baby was. I wish I was there to be able to help you out in anyway that I can. You need to take care of yourself, and remember the Lord won't give you something that you can't handle. You are a strong woman, who loves her children more than anything and the Lord knows that. Love you!!!!

Emy said...

What a time you two have had holding your family together. I am so glad everyone is okay. You all have been in our prayers! Love you.

Anonymous said...

I cried reading your last two posts. It is so scary being out of control and helpless when our babies are sick. Are you holding up ok? You have had a very trying last couple of months. Things can only get better. And I 100% agree with Martin. Babies should be kept at home for the first couple of months. There are too many unknown illnesses out there. I hope you are trying to get some sleep. Hopefully you won't have to make anymore late night visits to the ER, but if you ever do and need company, I am up late and would be happy to join you. I am an old pro at 2 am ER visits. Here's to an uneventful rest of the year!
Love ya,
Kristy

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOODNESS! Rachel, you are going to be my 911 when I have kids. You are my hero! I hope things are moving along. I hope I get to see the baby when I am there....ONLY A FEW MORE DAYS!!! YEAH! Let me know how I can get a hold of you. LOVE YOU!

tannersmom said...

Wow Rachel, you didn't even tell me about this yesterday. Who knew we would both be writing a hospital post? It is tough to watch the kids in the hospital. Sounds like the same as it was for Tanner except he didn't have to have the spinal. Thanks goodness all is well. Love ya!

tannersmom said...

By the way...I'm upset that I spent an hour waiting in the T-shirt line and didn't get to visit Delaney. I missed one of Tanner's games too. It was very frustrating!

Sara said...

Oh my gosh Rachel, I've had to read this 3 times to get my head around it. I look at my little baby and can't even begin to imagine what you all went through. I'm so thankful though to read that all is well.

Anonymous said...

Wow. That virus is so nasty. I really was thinking Delaney would escape this one--with all your precautions and your anti-bodies...so, so sorry your baby had to go through it, too! Hope your entire family can enjoy many restful nights for a very long time!

The deVilleneuves said...

Rachel,
I have been here. I know how scared you can be, and yet have to still be "in control" to make those heart wrenching decisions. I'm glad all has turned out well for you. I know you know the flip side too well (as do your family and dear friends). Thank you for sharing so we all know more for our own times of having to make decisions! And my heart goes out to your friends who have suffered such a great loss recently. I can't even imagine that kind of pain. I'll add them to my prayers for comfort and understanding, and peace.

Best wishes for an uneventful month, eh?

Laurie said...

Glad to hear all is well and everyone's on the mend. Here's to a healthy summer!

Sally F said...

Geez Louise! I can't even imagine what you've been through, and how stinkin' tired you must be!!! My heart goes out to you guys, and I'm soooo glad that things turned out well!

Fab7 Family said...

You had such a hard week--this week probably seems like a breeze for you now that the virus has made it through all the kids. As parents, we spend so much time teaching our kids to share, but these viruses are the last things we want them sharing!

Paula said...

Rachel,

I'm so sorry you had to go through all of this!!! :-( That is so hard! I'm glad things are getting better. Love you so much!!

SusieQ said...

What a scary week you've had. So glad baby Delaney is home now and doing better.

Margaret said...

Fine. Steal my ideas. At least I am in your top three. Hahahahaha

Laurel said...

ohmygoodness, Rachel. Where have I been? I'm SO SORRY I didn't even know enough to pray.

You've been through quite the wringer in the last few months....

you amaze me.

love & prayers your way!

Heidi said...

Oh my! I remember when Betty had to have a spinal tap and a 2 night stay at 5 weeks old. It was so scary! I'm sorry you had to go though that. I couldn't be there for the spinal either, and feel lucky that I have such a great doctor who I trusted to hold her for me. I'm so glad she is better and hope your family's health continues to improve.

Robert and Tannya said...

So I was just minding my own business avoiding studying and thought I would check in on your family. Ugh. Seriously are you guys OK. So so scary to have to go through that with your sweet little baby. Let me know if you need anything at all. Geez. What can you do when you have 4 kids. If this darn weather would heat up then maybe all these yucky viruses would go away.

Grama said...

TEsting!