How on earth did this happen?? My Christmas Card list is up to 136!! I need to cut it back, but HOW?? Help!
Any advice is appreciated on how you, my dedicated blog readers, determine who to send to and who NOT to send to. Do you still send to people you love but don't send you cards? Do you give to your friends who live in the same city as you? Is emailing a Christmas card considered tacky?? Seriously, I need your input. My brain is drained.
thank you.
and happy holidays.











21 VERY much appreciated comments:
WOWZERS! You are blessed to have such a long list of friends! I don't think it's tacky to do e-mail cards at all. They are kind of fun! I just make a little list of people I need to send one to and then send more to the ones who send me one. Good luck!!! Aren't you happy to have me? All I want is a picture of my sweet Baby D!;o) Love ya, and Merry Christmas to my friend!
I really like to hand deliver many to those in town. I like to deliver them with a little treat. Saves me on postage, and I get to see nearby loved ones if only for a few minutes during the holiday season.
I love that Becky Higgins kit! Super cute.
Let's see I usually send to family, those that send to me, a few more I love, and email the rest. If the email card is tacky...I guess I don't know better. I think it still shows I care.
Start making some enemies Rachel, for heavens sake! Or become a hermit. It will cut down on the cards.
I have been going back and forth as to whether or not I will do cards this year.
I am not so much into it.
The good thing about blogs is that a lot of friends and family can get caught up that way.
I would say, send to family and those that usually send you a card. I tend to not send a lot of local cards unless it is someone that I rarely see or talk to, so I can get them caught up on our family.
I have had quite a few people send me an email with the letter they would send in the mail, and a couple sent a picture like one that would be in a christmas card of their family. I didn't think it was tacky at all!
Send 'em to everyone! It's Christmas!!
I SO meant to do SUPER cute cards this year, but I haven't found the time. :-( I'm still going to try, although I don't know if I will include a pic or not...guess I'll have to see if I can get a really cute one first! :-) I don't think emailing is tacky at all, although I LOVE your cards! :-) You need to do what's best and easiest for you! You don't want to add more stress during the holidays! Love ya!!
Wow, that is a lot!! I would definitely cut back on the people who don't send you a card back. Then go from there.
Don't worry about the other 135 just send one to me : ) Heck I will even meet you at Papas so you don't have to spend the cash on postage.
Okay for real, If after 2 years I don't get a card in return, I cut them off : ) I agree with Jeralee, make some enemies : )
It should be fun, not stressful, don't worry about hurting feelings.
Yes, I have a lot too. Big family. But I don't send cards to people in my ward or stake. I do drop off a treat instead and that is of course more work than a card so that doesn't do much for reducing stress.
I don't like e cards. (Sorry if any of my friends happen to read your blog too)
I think you have to send to family. Then to friends of the wife and if you run out well then your husband's friends get an e card. (Smile)
Their is a time and a season for things. Yes this is the season of giving and thinking of others, but you also need to think about yourself and your family. I have had to simplify this year and it has been hard, but I have not had one single lick of time to do my cards yet. Hopefully I will get them done, but if not I will be sending them out late. Your friends will understand, if they truly love you. Happy Postage!!!! I don't give cards to my friends that are in town, but I do deliver a goody. I send the cards to out of town friends and family.
This year we had to cut way back on our cards. It was painful because it's one tradition I really enjoy. I sent them to my aunts and uncles but not all my cousins and a few friends that we communicate with only at Christmas. Next year I hope to go back to my full list though.
I don't think email cards are tacky. If I'm on your "In Town Friends" list, move me on over to your email card list. ;-)
I LOVE sending Christmas cards, but often times don't because of the expense of it. This year we're waiting for a time when most of the kids are here so that they can be included in the photo. I usually send cards to family and close friends that are not local.
I send to family with whom I regularly send to, same with friends. I have mine made at Costco and don't order over 75. If I get one in I didn't send to, I keep some singles on hand to slide into a pre-made card. 42 cents can add up pretty quickly.
A BIG card list is the sign of a BIG heart! Here's what I do: I always send to immediate family, whether they send to me or not. I send to more distant relatives only if they send to me. I send to friends who've sent within the last two years (everybody deserves a year lee-way). If I haven't heard from a friend in 2 years, I don't send a card. However, I keep extra cards on hand, so if someone I wasn't expecting does send me one, I return a card and add them to next year's list. I think ecards are OK IF I don't have their mailing address, or if they email me a card.
I send cards with letters and a family picture to our extended family who we don't see much. Then I send cards to my immediate family with a family picture in it. I don't send cards to those I don't hear from for two years. And for my frineds in town, I take cookies or some other little treat to them. As for emails, I think they are fine and they will know you are thinking about them.
I am probably not a good one to ask. I am going to get my 150 cards today. I love sending out Christmas Cards and a lot of the people I send them to look forward to the Schwake Annual Christmas card. I think of it as one present that I buy every year and I only spend around $80 on postage and the cards so it is about .50 a person. That is a great deal!! I send them out to family and quite a few people that live close. I love CHRISTMAS!!
Honestly, I would cut out the people you see and talk to most often first. I don't actually send Christmas cards anymore and none of my family seems to care or think that I care about them any less. I would send them to people you are trying the hardest to keep in contact with but live far away.
Um, that's a LOT of cards. It's hard to eliminate, for sure. I've had to narrow mine down to ONE book of stamps! I think email cards/letters is an awesome alternative!!
It was great meeting you, even though it was brief. But I'll be up there a bit more with the baby coming so we'll get a better chance to chat, I'm sure. I get a little spacey when I'm "out of my element".
I was trying to figure out who you were and was looking for someone blonde, just from that side view of your hair from your blog pic. But I DID notice the gal wearing the scarf in my favorite color, pink, and thought she must be a really cool person! I chuckled to myself when Traci said it was you! Your baby is a doll, and after looking at all the cute baby clothes, me and Traci decided we really like the pink/brown combo!! Funny thing--Eli doesn't! haha!
Oh Rach...I think that you are amazing for getting cards out this year. I totally haven't even thought about it...but I am waiting for the baby to come and do something for New Years. I hope if you mail cards that I am on your list. :)
Those cards look so cute! I have NO idea what you should do but I figure you have figured it out by now and I am sure you came up with a great solution :)
I have been a horrible blogger lately...sorry for the neglect but I have had fun catching up on your blog.
*Yes...your husband is crazy for camping in the snow.
*The pictures of you and Christian baking are darling!! I love to bake with Ben...messy but fun!
*Christian is quite the artist for a 3 year old...impressive!
*And last but not least...I LOVE the big headband on baby D. That flower is SO cute!
Post a Comment