Pages

Monday, February 1, 2010

My To-Do List

Recently I have become addicted to how-to blogs - how to refinish a piece of furniture, how to buy at Goodwill and turn your item into something FAB, how to recreate Pottery Barn style furniture, how to do this, how to do that. I mean really, I think I'm obsessed with these blogs. I've been saving ideas into a folder in my email and I'm going to share a few with you that I really really really want to do one of these days. I'm in the process (well, pretty much done, but waiting for a clean bedroom so I can move the desk in for them) of refinishing a desk & hutch I grabbed off of Craigslist last week for the girls. I had a ton of fun doing it. I find I'm soooo happy when I'm being productive and creative at the same time. Pictures to come of this project once I'm able to put the desk to use in their room.


Here's the before pic straight off the ad on Craigslist:



Photobucket

And here are some of my future projects I am drooling over and dreaming of *how* to do them!!

  • I want to add crown moulding to my kitchen cabinets and paint them black. (I never said these were small projects LOL) Here's the link: { Click here } and here's a pic of the Before & After in their kitchen. I also like the look of distressed black as seen here:
Photobucket
  • We have outgrown (and totally abused) our current dining table and chairs. It supposedly seats 6, but if you're one of the 2 on the sides, you pretty much have to climb into your chair. They barely fit. Ugh. So we're in the market for a *new to us* table & chairs. Our dear in laws, it turns out, are getting a new dining set and hutch and we may be buying theirs from them!! I love theirs! We're still debating as it's quite large and we just don't have a ton of room. We'll see. Whatever we decide, though, this is my plan: PAINT PAINT PAINT!!! I'm most likely leaning towards black, but I do love the creamy yummy of this look: { Click here }


Photobucket

  • I love old windows and I love this idea. I found the perfect window on Craigslist, but they want $25 for it. I'm too cheap. I want a steal! I'll keep my eyes open... { Click here }


Photobucket

  • Along these same lines, I love this idea. Although I don't understand why she purchased the frame *new* when there are SO many great ones at Goodwill?? { Click here }


Photobucket

  • And then there's this fabulous idea! I don't know exactly where I'd hang it... but I sure do love it. { Click here }


Photobucket

  • I'm not big into beading, but with this project, I just may want to start: { Click here } How beautiful (and EASY) are those?! I think this would be a fun project for the young women, too.


Photobucket

  • Last but not least, this is the one I'll probably try and tackle next. It tickles me to read her blog where she says she'd rather have used cafe clips but it would've added a good $30 to her project... and to think, I found TWENTY TWO clip rings at Goodwill the other day (3 different packages/two different aisles) for $.99 a package!!!!! I about peed my pants!!!! Wait til you see this idea. It's the greatest yet, in my happy opinion! { Click here }

Photobucket

So... this should keep me busy for awhile, no?

13 VERY much appreciated comments:

Jessi said...

Those are some awesome ideas!! Thanks for doing all the leg work for us.

Becky said...

Ha! You and I are two peas in a pod, truly!!!

Good luck with all your projects and post them on your blog!!!

Teresa said...

Oh, I got soooo excited about this post, Rachel! You have so many great ideas and plans. Love it! I'm a huge Goodwill shopper, too. It's so thrilling to find a good deal. Have fun with your projects. I'm looking forward to pictures!

Miss you.

Jenn said...

you may have just saved me a LOT of stress and money...i'll LYK if it works out!

Tonya said...

Can I just say, THOSE PROJECTS ARE FREAKING AWESOME!!! I love the black paint. Love the curtains! Can't wait to see your hutch make over. And I did not know you were in love with old windows. I am obsessed with them!!!! I have three in my house right now. Onw HUGE one that i found at an antique store for 50.00, one that I got for a STEAL at 10.00 and one that I absolutely couldn't resist for 25.00. If you found the perfect window for 25.00 I say get it. They are hard to come by. I was just at some antique stores last week with a friend and they wanted upwards of 70.00-225.00 for their windows. CRAZY!!! Happy crafting:0)

rachel said...

After sitting on it... sleeping on it... I went back to the ad on craigslist for the window. Turns out it's a mirror, not a window. :(
I was tempted, Tonya, I really was.

Anonymous said...

WONDERFUL PROJECTS!!! YOU MAKE ME TIRED!!!!!!! Erda

Lakes are Great said...

We have the best antique store down here that has a whole floor dedicated to old doors and windows. i got my old window for free from them! you should make a trip down and get one!!!!

Heidi said...

Oh, you are gonna be BUSY! I love it. I'm also finding that I'm so happy being creative and productive! Especially when I'm taking something totally un-lovable and bringing out it's potential. Can't wait to see your finished projects.

BURGANS BUNCH said...

Ok... So I want the kitchen (the "after") and the dining room to go with it! But I just want to move into the house and have it be done already!!! I love the candle shelf! What a great idea especially with all the kiddos!!!

Anonymous said...

I have been scouring decorating sites too! I will post my favorites soon, so check it out!

Simply Sara said...

I've recently become obsessed with the how-to blogs too :)
Thanks for sharing more awesome ideas. I LOVE the old window one!

We are in desperate need of a new table too. We currently have one with just four chairs, and because we are a family of 5 my hubby sits on a folding chair. I've been searching and searching online but haven't found one at the right price yet :)

Looks like you will be super busy!
Happy creating!

Linda@CraftaholicsAnonymous said...

Hi Rachel,
Just wanted to let you know you won the Life on Purpose giveaway! Congrats! please email me at craftaholicsanon@gmail.com with your shipping address.
Thanks!!
Linda