I have kept this pretty quiet the past month since my last doctor's appointment and ultrasound. Reason being, I am too emotional of a person to talk about it. Every time I would either think about it or tell someone (which was just a small few of you), I would tear up with emotion. But yesterday after going to this month's appointment, my sweet doctor really put me at ease with the situation.
He informed Martin and me last month that I (and the baby) have a 2 vessel umbilical cord instead of the normal 3. The main thing he told about it us was that it may affect the birth weight of the baby, causing her to be smaller, which with our history may not be such a bad thing.
I then come home, jump on Google, and freak out from what I find. If you're interested in learning more about 2 vessel cords, be prepared to hear the worst when you search online. According to my doctor, it's not as rare as we think. (He even had another mom-to-be in earlier that day with a 2 vessel cord.)
He asked me what my biggest fears/concerns were with this... I told him chromosomal abnormalities and kidney issues. Bless his heart, he then went into detail on the signs to look for in the ultrasound and how EVERYTHING looks healthy and well and that two kidneys are present... I was so happy to hear this. He really took his time explaining why he wasn't worried and how all the findings in my ultrasound pointed to a healthy baby.
I go back in three weeks and we'll begin the growth scans to monitor the baby's growth from here on out. Hey! One positive spin to this all: I may not have a 12 pound baby after all!!!
Thursday, January 10, 2008
At Ease
Labels: baby news, birthweight, delaney, pregnancy
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)










8 VERY much appreciated comments:
What a blessing to hear that from your doctor! I know Heavenly Father has always blessed your family and will continue to do so. And a smaller baby would be a relief although you seem to always be tough enough for the big babies. I'm going to the temple tonight...I'll say an extra special prayer for you and my new niece! (Big Hug)
That is one reason I LOVE Dr. Cooper. He is THE BEST EVER. I am so glad that things are looking up and who know, maybe you will be able to use some of those newborn clothes this time! Love you bunches!
Thanks for sharing, your family will be in our prayers!
Prayers sent your way...
Hey Rachel,
I know it can be scary, but if it makes you feel better, Ryan was born with only a 2 vessel umbilical cord. We didn't know about it ahead of time though. When he was born the dr. noticed it and said it was unusual and had it sent for testing. They also did tests on Ryan to make sure he didn't have any problems. Of course look at him now, he's a giant and all! :-) Since you guys know about it ahead of time, it's helpful so the drs can keep an eye on it for kinks and blockages and things like that. Don't worry honey, you are going to have a beautiful and healthy baby girl and I can't wait to meet her! Hugs, love and prayers going out to you!!!
Thank you ALL so much for the sweet comments. We're seriously so fine with this right now, thankfully. Paula, I had no idea about Ryan!! SO glad to hear it, though, because it's proof that it can (and will) turn out just fine. Thank you for sharing that with me.
I am glad to hear everything is great with you and the baby. You will still be in my prayers as well as your family.
Hey Rach, Bless your heart and your family. Such a thing to worry about. Sorry I haven't been by lately, I miss reading everyones blogs and writing mine. Dial up is such the pits, but I'll sure mis it soon. I have been so busy with work, between commuting on the bus(1.5 hours to get there) and the over time, I havent' had time to stop by blogger. I will keep you all in my prayers. You all are some of the most kindest folks I know.
Post a Comment