Pages

Wednesday, January 9, 2008

I'm BACK!

It's been an interesting few days away from my internet and let me tell you, I MISSED IT! My monitor broke (again) so I had no way of getting online. (Well, technically, I was online the whole time, just no way to view anything without a handy dandy monitor.) Now I'm back with a whole new system thanks to my dear husband. He's wonderful.

Question though: Our computer is kept in a pretty open area in our home (for safety reasons with the girls) but it also allows easy access by little fingers. Christian turned off the computer three times yesterday... and I only had it hooked up 8 hours or so! Martin is wondering if we should instead invest in a laptop to eliminate most accessible buttons from our two year old, plus making it transportable throughout the home and vacations. WHAT DO YOU THINK?? I have no idea. I love the big beautiful screen I have now... and converting to a laptop would shrink that. That's the one downfall I keep thinking about. But I would love to hear your opinions.

Comment away, my friends. Let me know what you would do. Thanks!

6 VERY much appreciated comments:

Julee and Matt said...

I love my laptop. I keep it closed so all the little fingers aren't able to get in. You can hook up your laptop to your computer monitor for the big screen. My sister-in-law has her computer in an open area, like yours, but they put all the hard drive and printer in another room. They drilled a small hole in the wall and so the little ones can't turn things off! Love ya and glad your back!

Tim and Lisa said...

our laptop has a pretty big screen, but not as big as our monitor. I'm with you, not sure about a laptop. Autumn plays on the computer but has not done any damage. YET!

Heidi said...

We have both in our house. The Laptop is mine and Chris has the desk top (with 2 big monitors...the monitor hog!) You can easily set up a laptop with the monitor, or pack up the laptop to take wherever you go. I wouldn't trade my laptop for anything...but Chris wouldn't dream of not having a desktop. The real issue is that you won't get as much power out of a laptop. If you aren't gaming, or doing anything that is intensive for the processor, you shouldn't have any problem switching.

Anonymous said...

We have a laptop and it is nice to be able to take it on vacations and around the house if needed. Doug has a laptop for work and just docks it at work in the docking station wich is plugged into a big monitor. That is the way I would go if I had little hands wanting to play with the computer.

Margaret said...

The trick with laptops and small children is that if they pick it up once and drop it on a hard floor...it could be toast. There are benefits to having one. And, portability is one of them. If you can keep a laptop up high from him (and your next baby) all the time, then no problem. But, they are expensive to replace. And it makes me nervous to have it be my only computer system. If you are going to have a laptop, then I would also either have everything backed up on a main computer or external hard drive just in case. Just my two cents. Hope it's helpful!

The deVilleneuves said...

Hey Rachel,
I have thoughts on this one...we have 6 computers, 4 regular ones and 2 laptops. We use all of them each day. The laptops (same brand, same company, good quality) have had more problems. Our understanding is that it's the movement and bouncing around of them that's causing the breakdowns. The kids are careful with them, but just the sheer amount of movement seems to do it. Otherwise, they're nice to have. So, if you children won't walk around with them, or move then around the house or other "little adjustments", you should be fine. As for us, we have forbidden them from moving the laptops because of the frequent repairs required when they do (even the teens!).
Good luck! I like the new blog address!