Pages

Monday, March 10, 2008

Happy 35th Birthday to my NO-Jules!

You know, as an adult, I hate throwing around the term "best friend" too loosely. In fact, I rarely use the term. I have a handful of "best friends" from different stages in my life that will always be considered a best friend, even though we may not see each other all that often. But today, I am going to use the term and say Happy Birthday to one of my dearest and BESTEST friends ever, Julie.

Julie and I met Fall 1991 as Freshman at the University in our Writing 121 class. Our professor instructed us to pair up for our next writing assignment. Julie and I saw each other, kind of shrugged our shoulders and said to each other, "Wanna be partners??" That was the beginning of quite the friendship. We became inseparable! By Winter term, she had moved into the same dorm as me, and by Spring term, we were roommates. We had way way way way WAY too much fun! We were obnoxious, immature, crazy dorks. But we were happy and we loved life! Our dorm mates would see one of us on campus without the other and ask where our sidekick was. We ate every meal together in the cafeteria. We enrolled in many of the same classes. We had crushes on the same guys. (and we were convinced, as invisible as we may have been to these guys, that they "loved" us back!)

Jules, I am going to go list as many memories from our years together there that I can remember. Please, I know you can do it, leave a comment reminding me of the ones I neglect to add.

I love you and hope you have a FABULOUS 35th Birthday! You are such a treasure to me.


  • Y-Knotz!

  • Dave Harkin

  • Jerome Kersey - Loving him. Chasing him in his car. Meeting him at Target.

  • Go Blazers!

  • Rip City Rhapsody

  • Making a headband for Cliff Robinson and actually delivering it to his house!

  • Camping outside the World Trade Center - Downtown Portland for NBA Finals tickets against the Chicago Bulls for Game 4... which we WON!!!!

  • Wearing all black as secret agent spies and spying on the hot R.A. then getting locked out of the dorm!!!

  • Comparing "cheese"

  • Not opening our dorm room door for whoever knocked because of the smell.

  • Jeanine

  • "Where are youuuuuu?????" "Heeeeere I aaaaam!!!!"

  • E.J.

  • Taco Bell runs

  • Your trusty Justy

  • Me driving your Justy on the freeway and the tire blowing out! Us spinning around all lanes, getting it (somehow) pushed off the freeway, all with NO traffic until we were off the road! FREAKY! (btw, that was on our way to the Blazers game with Susan, I think.)

  • Catered dinners

  • Pat Weed - us crying like babies saying goodbye to him. Whatever.

  • Blaine reading a bedtime story to us.

  • You trying to teach me how to do a cartwheel. Never did happen.

  • Ogling at the boys playing bball on the court across from our dorm room.

  • Hatted friend

  • Man in Red

  • "It's My Party and I'll Cry if I Want To" fiasco (We took that waaaay too seriously!) But it was our way to talk to Dave, at least. Aaaah....

  • "WHERE'S MY SISTER??????????"

  • Actually renting a honkin video camera and making that home video for Mike to send him on his mission. Boy, were we dorks.

  • Poop cookies from your mom

  • Valentines t-shirts from Gail's mom (remember, she used puff paints and did hearts all over with our names?) So not Gail.

  • Loud laugh

  • The diving bats at Hayward Field!!!

  • Peeing our pants running from the diving bats at Hayward Field!!!

  • Hippie Fest

  • Education Class - Ellen - JASON!!!!!!

  • Our makeovers that made me really really look like my mom. (No need to elaborate on this one, Jules.)

  • Driving all the way to Bend to get you, then all the way to Klamath Falls for Amy's wedding- changing into our dresses in the street!!! (oh what the neighbors must've thought!!) - and getting to the ceremony in time to see them kiss! (She'll never know....)

  • Rolling our eyes when Allison would say she's from "L.O." (((gag)))

  • How we despised sororities and sorority girls

  • Band geeks

  • Meeting Bethie and loving her for her pure innocence!

  • Simcha and the Humpty Dance

  • Dyment and the boys downstairs

  • Dan the Man (do you still keep in touch with him??)

  • Arnie

  • Eric's loser hook-ups

  • Eric kissing Beth AND my sister!!!!!

  • Endless all nighters "studying" (No wonder I didn't finish...)
  • Magic Johnson looking at ME!
  • "Can you see more because your eyes are so big?"
  • You're Hawaiian. (yes, you are.)

You're the best and I miss you like crazy. Can't wait to see you.... Love, Your NO-Rae

7 VERY much appreciated comments:

Paula said...

Yay for awesome friends and great memories!!! :-)

Anonymous said...

Oh My Sweet NoRae!!
This is so special and means so much to me! You have no idea how much I cherish these memories as much as you! 17 years later, I hope there are many more to come. Thank you , thank you, Thank you!
Here are some more...
Making a headband for Uncle Cliffy,
Choir class, Hanging in Portland with your Mommy hearing her "Fleas in my bobbin story, hiding in your closet and hearing Deana's pad! (ew!), the "downstairs bathroom" (I always knew where I could find you), "Where's my sister?!", scary Blake, fighting over which cafeteria to eat in, your sweet grandma stepping on ducks, Kyle the RA, when I lived with you and Martin-poor Martin, dance parties with little Livie on my bed, playing with caramel, watching a cliffhanger ducks game praying you didn't go into labor, I could go on and on. I love you!! NoJules

Anonymous said...

Oh, my! Jules just had me read this and I am laughing at my desk. I have heard about your little adventures and can just picture them in my head. You crazy girls!!!! Very nice Rachel!
-Stacy Case

Julee and Matt said...

I agree with Paula...Awesome friends and great memories are the best!

Tonya said...

I was so excited to see that you found our blog. I don't think I have seen you guys in 11 years or so. Holy Moly!! I hear little updates now and then, but now we can be totally in the know!!!Your family is beautiful:0)

rachel said...

Scary Blake?? Ok, don't remember that one...

But I do remember "Julie loves Blake" signs I made and hung all over the UI!!! (you know you did)

Love the memories you added. I didn't even remember most of them until you mentioned them. Kyle the RA actually teaches at our local high school right here by my house!!!! He's one of my high school friend's favorite teachers!!!! WEIRD.

Love you much.

Anonymous said...

"WHERE'S MY SISTER????!!!!!!" Oh man, that was funny!!!! I am laughing out loud right now!!!!!!! You two are SO lucky that you met in college!! Such great fun memories!!! Julee, I think you're GREAT! Remember how everyone thought that it was YOU and I who were sisters..??? Also, remember when I came down and stayed with you two for the week and you two made me cry because you wouldn't stop listening to sappy love songs???? I had just graduated HS and was so sad and missing people...boo hoo! OH, and remember driving to (spelling) Ala Abdonabi's house ?? He was a blazer at that time and we found out where he lived and went and knocked on his door! He was like, "um what in the heck do you crazy chicks want?" We also drove by Jerome's house and yelled out the car window as we drove by, "We love you Jerome!!! Good luck tonight!!!"