Pages

Monday, June 16, 2008

An Enchanted Evening

It's nice to have connections. Martin was a part of the committee a couple months ago that decorated our church's huge Modest is Hottest Dance. (The theme was Enchanted.) Well, Mr. Creative that he is, Martin suggested using the same theme for Olivia's 5th Grade Graduation party she so badly wanted to host. So... bless his heart, being the BEST DAD EVER, he spent countless hours transforming our garage into an Enchanted castle using the decorations from the dance. We even used the drawbridge for the girls to enter. It was so awesome! I hope my girls know how lucky they are to have a dad like that.
All girls from the 5th grade were invited and we had a great turnout. Best of all, they had FUN! And I had fun watching them. The highlight of the evening wasn't the outdoor movie projected onto the house they watched, but instead the Karaoke going on in the "garage". They sang their hearts out screaming, "Play that funky music, White Boy!!! Play that funky music right!!" To get a taste of what that sounded like, play the video at the end of this post. Listen carefully - it was too dark in there to get any visual. But it's worth listening to.
These girls are awesome. I have loved watching the progression of their friendships over the years as they have tried to figure out life. Many of these girls were my Girl Scouts for 3 years (Kindergarten thru 2nd Grade) and I was able to learn to really truly love them. Off they go to Middle School now.
Congrats Girls!

Olivia, Deborah, Makayla and Alyssa

Olivia's turn on Karaoke

Ryker (the ONLY boy present!!) takes a turn. At this point, I was parked in the living room feeding the baby when one by one, girl after girl, would run in to tell me, "Ryker's singing!!!"



Sierra and Sydney

Alyssa

It was difficult to get good photos in here without much lighting.


Hannah and Deb




All bundled up watching the movie in the cold.


Remember to pause my music before pressing play on the video.

25 VERY much appreciated comments:

Renee said...

Awesome, AWEsome, AWESOME, did I mention that, that was totally AWESOME!!!!!!!! Wow what great parents you are letting her invite the whole fifth grade. The garage rocked, way to go Martin. You are an awesome dad. Olivia will always remember this special day. I can't wait to see what you guys do for her for her 8th grade graduation, then high school, then college. Can I come Please????

Julie said...

Oh my gosh! How fun! I wish I could be there. What a great dad to do so much for his little girl. You have a reputation to uphold for future graduations now Martin. :)

Lakes are Great said...

so so cute!

Sally F said...

Wow, that is impressive that you took that all on! Way to go, guys!

Anonymous said...

How much fun does that look!!!!! I wish I could've been there too to see all those 5th graders having SO much fun!!!! WOW Martin and Junnae! Such a perfect Mom and Dad!

Margaret said...

You guys know how to plan a party!

Kristin said...

Wonderful idea!! Looks like so much fun. My parents let me have a graduation party when I graduated from jr high (that dates me, just calling it jr high). I was allowed 30 people, half of the class showed up, and I was nervouse so whenever my parents called downstairs to ask how many kids were there, my friends would yell up, "No more than 30 sr." There were kids lined up against the walls, taking numbers to play pool, air hockey, and suffle board, it was so much fun, and a great memory, looks like you just gave Olivia a great memory as well.

Sara said...

You have no idea how much it means to me to see these pictures of such beautiful young ladies! They were a wonderful class to have and I think back on that group with such wonderful memories. Congratulations to them all, I'm so proud of each and every one!

Paula said...

That is so awesome! What great parents you are!!! And what a lucky boy Ryker was! LOL! :-)

Kirsten said...

YEs Awesome Martin does it again. What fun and how lucky are you?? I hope they remember it forever. Love you!!!

Tim and Lisa said...

What fun. And what a great idea. Martin is a great dad to be a part of planning such a memorable party! Way to go MARTIN!

Julee and Matt said...

Oh my heck...plan me a party!! How fun for all these kids and something they will remember FOREVER! It's no surprise that Liv has the coolest parents ever...now everyone in the 5th grade know it! :)

Anonymous said...

How cool. That is such a great idea. Also olivia will never forget it. You guys are awesome.

Amanda said...

You guys know how to have fun! Congrats, Olivia!

Radke said...

What a bunch of fun! I love the video, so cute. Your hubby is such an awesome father, doing all that to make his girls happy. I can't believe you took so much on with a new little one to contend with too. Such great and loving parents!

Anonymous said...

I'm truly impressed. What an awesome night and a wonderful memory for them all!

Dani said...

What great memories you are helping to create for you kids! So cool!

Paula said...

I have been busy. :-( Cole's been a little needy lately, but I'm slowly breaking him of it. He's enjoying his bouncy more. I adore holding him, so it's almost as hard for me to stop stopping everything I'm doing and just sit and cuddle him. I'm going to try to get better at updating again, I promise! LOVE YOU! MISS YOU!

Kathy said...

What a great dad! And what great fun. Congrats, Olivia!

The Big B's said...

Rachel that looks so fun. I miss the simple times like that. Kudos to Martin. He is the Ultimate dad.

Laura's Linoleum said...

What an idea. I wish I had a husband that would be that creative... or at least carry out my wacky crazy ideas. Instead, he looks at me and asks what I'm on. Oh well. Sounds like you had a lot of fun!

Valerie said...

Wow, that's some party! Congrats to Olivia on graduating from elementary school.

Paula said...

Jenn said thank you!

The Big B's said...

Oh I forgot that the taco time/taco bell stuff wouldn't make sense. Buck is in the family business and they own taco time and some Ihops. Buck runs the taco time down here, so that is why we had to do that. jen

Tonya said...

What a cool party! You guys are so great for putting that on. Martin must think the world of his babies. That is very sweet!