This past Friday Kirsten and I got together and canned almost 40 pounds of pears.
Yes.
I said CANNED.
For those of you who know me, you know I don't can. There was one point where we had a question about something and called our domestic goddess friend, Melissa, to get answers. When I explained to her we were canning, I added the words, "Don't laugh!" Let's just say the terms 'canning' and 'Rachel' don't go together in most people's conversations.
HOWEVER, we did it! And we had fun.
What probably would've been a 2-3 hour project for most people, turned into a SEVEN hour project for us. And let me tell you why:
- *P* got stung by a wasp.
- *P* got bit by a wasp.
- Morgan got sick at school and I had to stop the presses to run and get her, bring her home and get her situated upstairs as to not infect the troops.
- Christian pooped TWICE.
- Delaney had a diaper blow out (thankfully Olivia was home at this point and helped me change her clothes).
- *Busy* got a few bumps from her brother here and there which needed a Time Out or two.
- Delaney had to eat twice.
- My crazy obsession killing fruit flies with my bare hands!
- Oh. And we couldn't find Fruit Fresh anywhere! So we improvised. But we had to research via google. (What would we do without the internet????)
Papa, this will make you cry, but as I peeled and sliced and treated and heated these pears, I tried to keep in mind Grammy Houk. One of the most precious memories I have is that of eating her canned pears she had stored in the basement in the house on SE 22nd and enjoying them years after her passing. I hope she was proud of me! I sure am in awe of her and all the labor involved in the canning process. When I open the first jar of pears, I sure hope and pray they taste as good as hers!
Thanks Kirsten, for talking me into doing this. It was so worth it to hang out with you and your precious babes all day. And you'll be happy to know the fruit flies are almost gone!! ☺










24 VERY much appreciated comments:
Way to go girls! What a precious way to spend the day with friends.
I also have to kill fruitflies with my hands. I just have too.
WOW! Way to go girlfriend!
Ha ha, it was sooo much fun. Who said anything was easy with kids?? I sooooooo enjoyed our day, salsa next?? Love you!!!
Rachel, way to go! I am so glad you and Kirsten could do this together. it's easier with another person. I think canning is such a great thing, and you can feel so proud of your efforts afterwards when you see all those jars. Good job! -emy
Your pears look great! Kudos to you on a job well done. Don't you just love how helpful kids can be? :D
impressive indeed! Um, I gave about 25 pears away to some family that came, lots were eaten, I dried a bunch, which I wouldn't do again, they took forever and are pretty crunchy. Canning? Too intimidating at this point - so WTG! I am impressed and Kirsten as well since she is getting ready to move and is very pregnant.
Hmm... now what to do with the last 15 pears. he he.
Wow. Seriously impressed. I've never canned, and I am very intimidated by it! Congrats!
They look delicious!
That is SO awesome!! I LOVED canning with my mom! As soon as I have more space, I am definitely going to start doing it! I'm glad you had such a good time doing it!! It was awesome to talk to you yesterday! LOVE YOU!
Good for your Rachel! I love to see lined up jars of freshly canned fruit. It's beautiful!
Totally impressive! I can with my mom-in-law. We did green beans last week. I will admit that I would be clueless without her expertise, so who knows if i'll ever be brave enough to go at it all on my own. I hope that those pears will taste heavenly to you and your fam after all that labor of love:0)
I have always wanted to learn to can. What a great accomplishment. Hooray for Rachel! :)
Good for you! What a great accomplishment.
And yes, please, I'd like some pears. :)
WTG Rachel!
That is awesome, I really really REALLY would like to learn how to do pears and peaches and jam that doesn't have to be in the freezer :) (altho freezer jam is nice and fast and easy!).
I'm super impressed with ya!
Great job, ladies! Each time you open a jar of your pears, you will feel satisfaction in knowing that you put them up with your own two hands! Sounds like you'll also be chuckling over all of the little mishaps that happened that day for you. Very impressive!
Way to go Rachel!!! I am sure that your grandma is very proud of you. Is there any other way to kill fruit flies? I hate those pesty little things!!!!
And you also have the satisfaction of finishing a job that you don't have to redo again the next day!
Enjoy them.
I am so proud of you! Your jars look beautiful. I'm so impressed--did you get that many jars out of 40 pounds? I bought a box, too, and got only 14 quarts. I discovered Saturday afternoon that they were ready to can, so I started at 4 pm and finished at 9. I was beat! Next, it's on to zucchini relish for you! :-D
Isn't it a great sense of accomplishment to look at all those beautiful canned pears sitting on the counter?? It makes me feel so domestic. When I actually do it. Which isn't very often.
Oh my goodness! I can relate. I just tried canning a couple of weeks ago. I picked apples with my sister. We peeled & peeled to make applesauce and then canned it. It was a whole day process for us too. Part may be due to the fact that between us, we had four of my kids and two of hers. Good job! -Diane Jessing
thanks :) it was a GREAT day :D
Impressed! And in total awe! Don't even know how the heck to start a project like that--really.........I don't know what to say.......except maybe come and do it for me!!! :)
I'm back to say that you girls inspired me. Matt located our juicer, and I juiced a bunch of Concord grapes. I'll be making grape jelly soon! We may have extra grapes. Are you interested in having them?
YUMMO! Let me know when you heat those babies up and put them on cold vanilla ice cream! I'll come runnin'!;O)
Post a Comment