Christian woke up with this lovely rash all over his body... main areas: cheeks and shoulders/upper back, but also some on his belly. The bumps are very fine and raised - almost feels like goosebumps. He says it feels "tickly".
I talked with the triage nurse and her best guess (!) was something viral.
But... ya know...
Anyone have any ideas?
left cheek:










17 VERY much appreciated comments:
Freaky! I am not sure who has more sickness run through their house, you are me?! Hope he gets better soon.
I know fifth disease (a virus) makes a rash that makes their cheeks look like they've been slapped. Not sure if it spreads to the torso.
I'd probably try some benadryl and hydrocortisone cream, just in case he's reacting to something. At least the "tinglies" might go away.
Rachel,
I have seen this rash before on my kids...I don't remember what it is! I will look on the net for you since i am just sitting here in my recliner! It could be fifths disease...does he have a sore throat? I am trying to remember what Jonathan's scarlet fever looked like...lemme look it all up...
heather
Cole got a rash like this when he was pretty little and it totally freaked me out, but it was just viral...basically he was getting over a cold and this was one of the ways his body was getting it out. I'd probably take him in anyway, just to be sure. Love ya!
Looks like fifths to me. I think fifths has a fever with it. the only other thing I know about it is that it is very contagious up to a week before you even know they have it, and DON"T EVER let a prego women get it. (dont know why.)
I know I am a hypochondriac, but I would go to the doctor if you already haven't.
GOOD LUCK. I know how that feels.
When I was pregnant with Dalia, a child had fifth's at school and it did look like that but I don't know if it spreads to your torso. Fifth's is pretty common though. Dalia had something very similar to what looks like is on his back and chest last summer right when the heat started to pick up. It had to do with the keratin in her skin and the nurse told me to apply cortisone cream to it a few times a day and it was gone pretty quick. It did itch her too.
Good luck and I hope he feels better soon. Joyce
I told you already over on FB that it looks like Fifths BUT.. My kids are all really fair you know and when they start getting out in any kind of heat they get heat rash that looks just like that too! ~ Call a nurce pal if you are a little more worried. :) (that's my good advice!)
Ty had a rash like that once, and our Dr. said it was a reaction to the anti-biotics he had been on. Has Christian recently been on anti-b's?
Ok so I just asked one of my friends in school, who just happens to work in a peds office, what he might have. She said to check his tonsils for a white pus, this could indicate a "step rash". If his throat looks fine then she said it's viral rash that will probably go away in a couple of days. If he does have a sore throat, you should take him in for a strep test. Otherwise, he should be fine! Good to know people in high places! Love ya, Jenn
Your poor little people! And does a mama ever get a break? geez! Hope your little man feels better soon!!
I think it's Fifth's...maybe Rubella or Roseola. I hope he get's to feeling better soon. A good oatmeal bath might help with the itches.
hand Foot mouth disease is my best guess. Also known as Fifth's I believe. I totally recommend what Laurie said - Benadryl and hydrocortisone.
Hope he is feeling better today. It could also be a contact dermatitis - an allergic reaction to something. If it gets worse, spreads and the Benadryl and cortisone creams don't work, then get him in.
Dr. Internet at your service. ;-)
LOL
Rashes are the worst! Mostly for the parent who doesn't know what it is! My kids have had fifths before and they had pretty nasty fevers. And you could hardly see their rashes. That looks like some sort of reaction to heat or clothing or rolling around in the grass to me. What a great idea to post. I'm going to do that next time I have no idea what my kids have got!
I'm guessing prickly heat. I'm also guessing it's mostly gone.
That's no fun! Hope he's better now.
Thank you ALL for your thoughts. It went away after two days or so... and I decided it must've been heat related. So whoever "C" is... and LeaAnne, Jen, & Joyce - I'm saying YOU were right with the prickly heat diagnosis. :)
I believe its fifth desease. My little cousin just had it and it looks very similer
Post a Comment