I've had so many people asking me how my grandma is... And I just don't know how to answer that question.
She's alive. That's great! She has some use of her left side - very very minimal. Cannot stand. Her smile is fine and her speech is normal.
Her eyesight, though, is pretty impaired (left sided neglect) and her thought process is a little slower than normal, but once she processes the question or comment she hears, she is able to respond just as intelligently as always! The nurses keep asking her what her name is and she's so sick of it, she makes up a silly name. I've decided rather than asking her what her name is, to ask who the President of the United States is. She's happy to answer that one!!! BUT she is now living her worst nightmare. Suffering a stroke and living dependent on others was something she talked at length about the last several years with my mom and aunt. And now here she is.
It's heartbreaking, to say the least. Literally heartbreaking.
I tell ya what, though. This great woman has such a positive attitude. I'd look over at her, thinking she was sound asleep only to find her trying to lift her left arm, making a fist, touching each finger to her thumb, opening and closing her hand! She is such a fighter and nothing makes me more proud than my Gram.
I spent 7 nights in a row with her in her hospital room. Last night was my first night back home in my own bed and I missed her with a passion.
Thank you all for your concern, prayers, thoughts, calls, texts, emails, and most importantly, your love. My grandma is buoyed up by so much love.
♥
Tuesday, June 16, 2009
Update on My Grandma
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)










9 VERY much appreciated comments:
I an glad she is doing alright. It's so hard...I have been there. Just know I love you...I am thinking about you.
So amazing. I love the part where you wrote about her trying to move her left arm/hand. What a fighter. Wish more people, me included, were like that. I went through this with my beloved grandma several years ago. I wish it wan't happening to her and her loved ones. She is so fortunate to have you and you family. (And you are lucky to have her. What a great woman.) You are all in our prayers.
So many of your comments take me back to my grandma. After my grandpa died I slept with my grandma for two nights and would do it again in a heartbeat. So glad you are able to spend such treasured moments with her. My heart is going out to you and your grandma. What an amazing support system you have to allow you to walk this process the way it should be.
Your Grandma sounds like a trooper. She is lucky to have such a loving Granddaughter. We will keep you and her in our prayers. Love ya girl.
My sweet Rachel,
You know you are always in my heart and prayers, and so is your 'Gram'. I love you so much.
Papa
I have been wondering about your grandma. I am glad to hear that she is doing okay. She is such a fighter, if anyone can get through this and back thier old self, it's her! I know she is so blessed to have such a wonderful family who cares so deeply for her. We have you in our prayers. All our love.
How nice that you were able to be with her through this. She sounds like such a special and dear lady. I hope she is able to adjust to the changes in her life and that she will be able to regain some stregnth. What a loving family you all are :)
Still praying!
I was hoping we could talk but, you are a busy GRANDdaughter, daughter, wife, mother, sister, friend! Right now you have a party going on at your house. You have gone from one busy extreme to another. As I read about Dorothy, it reminds me so much of my mom that my heart swells with tears. They both sewed for us, they both loved to play Kings on the Corner or Corner on the Kings (whatever...) I have that game! got it from my mom. Let's play it sometime. I sat with mom in the hospital for a month. Remember? You and your family were with us the last day - the most special moment was when the girls sang Primary songs to her. I loved sharing Thanksgiving with your grandmother and giving her that sweet little kitten. I loved that she and my mom wrote to eachother. They are friends:) And we are family FOREVER. big hugs from me (your other mom)
Post a Comment