Every 6 months, our church holds a General Conference where we are able to listen to wonderfully prepared talks from our church leaders on various topics. Members of the church gather together in the Conference Center in Salt Lake City, Utah for these meetings, or gather in their local church buildings where it is broadcast via satellite for those of us who are too far to travel to Utah. We are so fortunate as a family to be able to watch via satellite from the comfort of our own home and our own comfy couches. This weekend was Conference... and I loved it!
This morning as I listened to President Thomas S. Monson's talk, I truly felt like he was talking to ME. Remember that post I did awhile back on missing these days with young children? That was the message I got out of his talk -to enjoy the journey and not let the everyday, mundane tasks in life get to us - to enjoy our sweet little ones now, because soon enough our homes will be all too quiet without the little pitter patter of feet running down the staircase or our 2 year old bouncing hyper around the house pretending he's Tigger!
I found myself the rest of the day repeating out loud to whoever would listen, to "Enjoy the Journey." I hope to repeat this to myself the next several days, weeks, months as I start to get stressed out by life (aka laundry, dishes, bad behavior from kids, etc...) to remind myself that this is temporary - these babies that I love so much are growing up way too fast and to not sweat the small stuff.
After watching and listening this weekend, I want to be better - a better mom, a better wife, a better friend, a better person. I have been uplifted and rejuvenated.
Laurel summed up her feelings here after thoroughly enjoying Conference. Thanks, friend. I couldn't have said it better myself. (really, i couldn't have!!)
Now on to a new week...
... and to enjoy my journey!!
*just a side note... i have tried numerous times now to publish this post with spaces in between each of the paragraphs and have had NO luck. i give up. here it is... it's driving me crazy... but i'm not stressing... i'm enjoying the happy journey! lol
* OK, thanks to Maggie who called me and walked me through the settings to change this function and fix the issue. Thanks Maggie!! Just Say No to Nutria!
Sunday, October 5, 2008
Enjoy the Journey
Labels: family, general conference, love, rachel
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)










16 VERY much appreciated comments:
I loved hearing that talk and others as well. Its such an inspiring weekend.
It was a great conference. That talk also jumped out to me. I stress way to much about little things. I too am going to start enjoying more. Thanks for your post!
Loved that talk, too. He is so good at really getting me to feel his talks.
That no space between paragraphs happens to me sometimes, too. I just go to the html tab (instead of the compose tab) and put the space in there and that fixes it.
Conference was great! I loved Elder Eyring's talk about unity the most! I told Greg we were going to have to give that one to the kids for FHE one night since I'm not sure they got it the first time.
I don't have this problem in blogger in draft but Sally's fix is what I do too. Just make a space in the html code where you need it by pressing "enter". And it will make a space on the post in that place.
Sometimes I wish I could just crawl inside Conference weekend and live there. It is always so uplifting and inspiring. There is such a comfort in the very air as I listen to and feel the talks. I'm reminded of what really matters. Enjoy the journey!
Hey thanks for your referral on my blog. Maybe I'll just read here too! I loved the two peas in a pod cake, so darling.
Ahhh...conference weekend! Mine was incredibly hectic and stressful...except for the last session yesterday - I did hear Pres. Monson's talk about Enjoying the Journey. It was incredible and very inspiring.
Thank heavens for DVR! I can watch it all again after the kids go to bed and actually get something out of it!
Conference was amazing! When listening to our Prophet's talk I felt like he was singing my song! I strive to 'Delight in the Everyday' but needed a good reminder after a few sick days with kiddos and the bickering that came with not feeling well. Sometimes it is hard to 'delight' in being a referee ;)
It's always wonderful and I always feel like they are telling just me something. Hopefully we can all take their words to heart and try to enjoy life a little more. :)
I loved that talk! It seemed that ever talk given this conference was one I DEFINITELY needed to hear. Love ya!
I know! I felt the same way! It's sometimes hard to appreciate every moment when kids can be such...kids! But I am also resolved to cherish the moments while I still have them. Great post!
Loved that talk! I have the cutest picture frame that says enjoy the journey on it and I just love. I love it so much it is up on my wall without a picture because I can't find the perfect one!
Just yesterday my friend asked me which talk I liked the most. The Prophets talk is the one that immediately came to mind. It was so uplifting and I got the same feelings from it that you did. It really was a great conference.
Rachel-
It's Gracie from Everything Cricut. What a blog you have! The warmth just emulates. You seem to have a lot of blog friends. And I love love seeing your family. You seem to be very good LDS--I wish I were! It's been so long I wonder if I am even on the rolls...
About the shoes:they run small, and you could put a liner (like Dr. Scholls)in and I'd be surprised if they didn't fit. You can return them if they don't.
Take care, and thank you for such a wonderful blog.
Gracie at EverythingCricut.blogspot.com
I love General Conference!
That was a wonderful talk, I agree. I have been taking more time to enjoy my little ones, and it makes such a difference in my daily perspective. There are so many precious memories to be made. I am excited for Eli & Traci's baby to arrive, and plan to enjoy every second with her, as I already know that she's going to grow up way too quickly!
Doesn't it feel like sometimes they are talking directly to you? Just what you needed to hear at this time? I love it!
My Mom's favorite quote from the Conference was "you don't know it all...but you know enough"
Post a Comment